Davenport, FL asked in Contracts for Florida

Q: How do I respond to cease and desist letter and demand for payment from contractor who damaged my home during project?

I contracted a company I found on Thumbtack.com to remodel shower. Owner stated he was insured, licensed. We agreed to $1400 remodel project, I purchased over $1300 in materials for him to do job. We paid 25% up front per contract. During work, he damaged our bathtub & vanity, front door threshold, left dust everywhere. He did plumbing, but upon connecting shower fixture, caused leak. We had to pay for this. He allowed grout down drain, asked us to pay and told us he'd lower final cost. Asked for advances several times. After two weeks, tiling uneven, holes in grout, ruined floor tiling. When I found sink broken b/c of his use, I told him to stop project. I did not pay him advances nor remaining amount. I entered into dispute on Thumbtack.com and asked them for compensation for amount paid to contractor under their guarantee. I also complained about him online. He has served me with cease and desist letter. He is asking for remainder of payment due to breach of contract.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have disputed the claim with Thumbtack, so there is no need for you to cease telling people about the unsatisfactory quality of the work. Thus there is no need to respond to the letter. If he files suit, and depending on the outcome of the dispute with Thumbtack, you can counterclaim for your damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.