Riverside, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: Child custody/support and relocation

My job is relocating me out of California and my ex wants to move to the same state so the kids don't have to travel for visitation. We have joint custody. Is the child custody and support order issued originally in California still in effect if both parents no longer live there? Would an agreement have to be filed within the new state of residence?

1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, the child custody agreement is still in effect even if you both move out of California. You can and probably should register the California child custody agreement in the new state's court system. I recommend that you consult with an attorney in the state where you have relocated to get fact-specific information and help about your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.