Phoenix, AZ asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Arizona

Q: How do I go about fixing my car after a hit and run?

I was involved in a hit and run about a year ago I was able to get the license plate and make a report to the police. I never followed up because I moved states and lost the documents, I’m back in Arizona now and where the damages that were caused during the hit and run are now causing my vehicle issues. Am I still able to contact the police department that took the report to get the person who hit me insurance information to fix my car? I really don’t want to go through my insurance and have my rates impacted.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Arizona attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. You could try that, but issues may arise as to notice - with either carrier. The general premise, regardless of jurisdiction, is that an insurance carrier needs notice within a reasonable time to investigate claims. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.