Hancock County, OH asked in Social Security

Q: After 17 yes SSD is evalutating my case and want to see their doctor. With this virus must I go?

I do not take meds, they do not interact well with me. I learned to do without and try to live normal. Its difficult but better than becoming addicted to pain killers. My immune is compromised. This virus scares me . will I be kicked off SSI if I call and cancel that appt.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Your benefits are based on medical evidence. If your immune system is compromised, do you have a personal physician that can write a letter explaining this to SSA and recommending some option other than visiting an SSA doctor like waiting until you can get immunized?

People who refuse treatment and refuse to go to SSA doctors are definitely on thin ice. You don't have to do what they say if you are concerned for your health, but they also don't have to send you funds if you refuse to allow them to have you examined to verify your current health.

If you can find a way to do it, I recommend attending the appointment.

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: It is not in your best interest to cancel the consultative examination. If you refuse to attend the consultative examination, your case may be denied due to failure to cooperate. Call the Social Security claims examiner and ask if they can reschedule a consultative examination virtually. Social Security offices have been using telehealth for consultative examinations more frequently. If that is not an option for you, ask that your appointment be rescheduled with the consultative examiner as the first client of the day so that you will not have contact with other patients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.