Flint, MI asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: How do I proceed? My single deceased mom's home in Michigan was sold a few weeks ago at auction. I have three siblings.

My mom died in 2016. My brother was in charge of my mom's estate and even had one of his kids living in our moms house since 2016 until recently (he never consulted me). Moms house was just sold at auction a few weeks ago, After back taxes were paid there is a sum of money left over. My sister is saying someone called her telling her that all moms children as next of kin, by law are entitled to what is left after paying the taxes. Mom was not married when she died. There are three of us children with one of my nephews that my mother legally adopted. Our brother is telling my sister not to talk to anyone about moms estate and that the person calling her is a debt collector. My mom was enrolled in a native american tribe in Michigan and my sister said 4 checks were sent to each of us but my sister and I never received our checks and this was the first I heard about it. My sister feels like our brother is trying to keep us in the dark about our mothers estate. Please advise - Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need to hire a local attorney in the county where your mother resided.

Your situation is far too complicated to provide an appropriate answer in a Public forum like this — you need to consult with a local attorney ASAP.

— this answer is provided for information only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Please seek local representation!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.