Cambridge, MA asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: If my mom is in jail can a friend of mine get guardianship of me

I am 16 my mom left me in the care of a relative without birth certificate or social security card and I have been out of school for a year and am currently living with a friend who is filing for guardianship and feel unsafe goin back to my mom. How long will this process take and can or will they give them full custody?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If the Court finds the petitioner for guardianship to be suitable and in your best interest after first having the petitioner appointed temporarily usually there would then be a trial date for appointment of a permanent guardian for you until age 18. Sometimes the parent(s) assent to temporary or even permanent guardianship. I am a bit surprised that DCF was not involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.