Elkton, MD asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: How can I get the father off of my daughters birth certificate if I can't find him.

My ex husband faked an at home paternity test when my daughter was 3. I never questioned it since it was a way to get him out of our lives. He's had no contact with my daughter since. Now my daughter is 13 and wants to know for sure that he is her father and to have him removed for her birth certificate if he is not. I can not find a valid address for him to fill out court paperwork. Will the court find his address if I can not? And if he is her bio father, can he try to get visitation of daughter if I try to get child support? And if he does, will he get it seeing how he went through lengths to try to get out of being her father by faking a paternity test and not seeing her for 9 years?

1 Lawyer Answer
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You are looking for advice on a very complicated matter that requires the assistance of counsel. I highly suggest you reach out to counsel in your county/city to discuss your options. Counsel can provide several mechanisms for locating him that you may not have at your disposal. And your case is very complicated. As such, it is best not to go at this alone. Good luck and stay safe!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.