Lancaster, PA asked in Foreclosure for Pennsylvania

Q: my house is go to be forclosed on and i have two hips that need replaced and can hardly walk .

my son makes enough money to get us a place was wondering if he could do that with my not so good credit history .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: From the reports I've seen recently, although interest rates are near record lows, the banks and other mortgage funding sources have been tightening credit, raising the minimum credit scores needed to qualify for a mortgage loan.

Probably, from what you say, your credit score is below what will be needed to qualify for a loan. If your son's credit score is higher., have him apply for a mortgage loan in his name alone.

Shop around for mortgage loans, as rates and qualification requirements vary.

Governor Wolf has issued executive orders forestalling foreclosures and evictions. It may be possible to get financial help through a Pennsylvania agency created for that purpose to save your existing home. Even if you are willing to let your home go, you may still be able to negotiate an agreement with your lender. I have done more than one such arrangement where the lender pays you some amount of money for an agreed foreclosure decree, and a set date for you to move out. The advantage for the creditor is that it saves several thousands of dollars in attorneys fees and costs for bringing a foreclosure case and wading through it to a foreclosure judgment and sheriff's sale.

If you have not yet been served with a foreclosure complaint, you have several legal options available. And that's true even if you have been served with a complaint, although you have fewer options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.