Dallas, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Can quitclaim deed signed by my father before his death be challenged by unsecured creditors?

My dad was diagnosed with last stage heart failure following a massive heart attack. This disabled him from working. Knowing his life would be cut short, he quitclaimed his property to me. Signed, notarized and recorded with the county. The property DOES have a mortgage (specifically, a land loan) , however, we spoke to his bank before the quitclaim and was told that as long as I make the payments, we are good to go and they wouldn’t enforce a “due on sale” and not to worry about refinancing..Approx 5 months later, my dad passed. My concern is that dad has numerous unsecured debts through credit cards. All varying between 10k-20k adding up to quite a bit. Can these unsecured creditors come back and take the property he quitclaimed to me and my husband? I realize now, we could’ve gone another route with the deed but what’s done is done. We now live on the property and don’t plan to sell. I have no other use for probate, as the property is the only asset I want to keep.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I have assumed that the property is in Oklahoma. Creditors would have to establish their claim against the estate through the probate court. If a probate proceeding is not initiated by one of the family members, a creditor could initiate the proceeding. After establishing their claim, they would have to prove that the transfer was made to delay or hinder creditors. (There are a number of issues relating to proving such a claim). Even if they did that, they would be behind the mortgage on the property. The creditor's interest in doing any of that would depend upon whether there is any equity in the property (the value of the property in excess of the mortgage amount). Each of the above steps has several issues related to them. The answer to your specific question can only be answered after a full review of all of the facts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.