Sacramento, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Greencard renewal

I filed I-90 to renew my greencard. I went for my biometrics at the local uscis office last year. They notices I wrote my legal name differently (missing the married name) ie. Jane Ford instead of the legal Jane Ford Gordon. I explained to the officer there that I have made an error. I thought he said he would correct it for me.

Months later, a letter came to ask for more evidence of a name change. I submitted my divorce decree showing that I didn’t ask for name change.

2 weeks later I received another letter asking for evidence since my divorce decree doesn’t show a name change.

The thing is, I didn’t have a name change.

What should I do?

1) go get a name change (it’s going to take awhile for the court to process)

2) Re-submit the same evidence (divorce decree- I submitted via online as it’s the prefer form of communication)

3)Is there a form to correct the error?

Thank you very much for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: You can submit an amended FORM I -90 and submit the divorce decree indicating your legal name.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.