Newton Center, MA asked in Banking, Business Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts

Q: We have signed a P&S to sell a building in MA. The deposit check is in foreign currency. Can we void the contract?

The buyers declared residency as being CA, but have moved out of the country without disclosing that information to us. We're being told the check could take 6-8 weeks to clear. It has not been deposited. Their lawyer has not responded since we contacted them about the foreign bank/foreign currency.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You need counsel to review the terms of your offer and acceptance and purchase and sale agreement carefully. Don't do anything at all yourself in this situation without good representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.