Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Kentucky

Q: If I have proof that my daughters dad is selling drugs do I legally have to let him go where he wishes to see her?

My daughters dad has been inconsistent with seeing her the last year of her life (she’s 2) and hasn’t seen her for a total of a month now, has all ways of me contacting him blocked, but guilt trips his mom about not seeing her, but I don’t want to get in trouble if I don’t allow visits. I actually had to get a restraining order against him in March 2020 bc he was threatening to beat me up (again, so yes hes also violent and abusive) and now I know he sells drugs. So I don’t feel it’s safe to send her with him. So I want to just allow him to see her at his mothers or meet us in public. But he never shows up when he’s supposed to come visit her there. So I’m lost with what I should do, from a legal stand point. Please help. I’m in Kentucky.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You should file a motion to limit or suspend his visitation and let the court rule. You cannot unilaterally withhold parenting time but if you submit your proof to the Court, then you will be covered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.