Chesapeake, VA asked in Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Virginia

Q: Are there any charges I can file against a lawn care provider who hasn't completed the services?

I prepaid for biweekly lawn care 3 weeks ago. He came out the same day and mowed 1/3 of my yard, then claimed his belt broke and he would return the next day. He has never come back, providing a multitude of excuses. I have asked for my money back several times, to which he always says he will be out to mow the yard and never does.

There is video and audio recording of our discussion about the services he would be providing, as well as him receiving the money from me for his services. We were in my place of employment and there are signs posted in view announcing audio and video recording were taking place. Also, I have all of our text communications over the last three weeks.

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In Virginia, the Office of the Commonwealth Attorney generally files charges in criminal matters, not individuals. With regard to your reported facts, you may have a right to file a civil lawsuit for breach of contract, called a Warrant in Debt, in the General District Court for the county/city in which you reside and seek an award of monetary damages from the Court against the lawn care provider.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.