Las Vegas, NV asked in Real Estate Law for Nevada

Q: My mom quitclaimed her fully paid house to me a year ago and has just passed away. Can my brother come after the home?

My mom quitclaimed her fully paid house to me a year ago and has just passed away yesterday. I have a brother who my mom has no communication with trying to step in on the property. Does he have a chance?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Hire a competent attorney to perform a title search. He should be able to tell you what estate you have, and whether your Mother's creditors or heirs might be able to reach her real property. Hopefully your Quit Claim Deed says what you think. If so, he will not be able to eject you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.