Washington, DC asked in Elder Law for Maryland

Q: What type of attorney to handle elder financial abuse?

My sister appointed a family member as her POA when she was living in assisted living. My sister now lives with family and want to reclaim her independence. The POA never kept her in the loop on any financial matter, has her financial accounts set up so she can’t gain access easily and my sister just learned that the POA transferred a large sum of money (proceeds from the sell of her home) from a joint account that’s my sister & POA into her own personal account. When asked about funds, POA claims she’s safekeeping the money and that she’s well within her right to take the money bc she’s the POA. My sister, decided to revoke the POA agreement bc of this underhanded act and asked for her money to be returned. The POA is refusing to give her back the money she transferred into her personal account. The amount is over 90K. She’s told my sister, you’re going to have to take me to court to get your money. Please advise?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Call a lawyer. Have the lawyer contact the State’s Attorney’s Office, and have them indict your sister or issue a warrant for your sister’s arrest and prosecution for elder abuse, embezzlement and theft.

Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.