Charlotte, NC asked in Animal / Dog Law for South Carolina

Q: I'm a South Carolina dog groomer, I have a parrot whose owner not came back to pick up for 1 yr

Have not heard anything! Laws on abandoning

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Here is the process for selling the animal and getting to assert a lien against the sales proceeds for all costs that you have:

SECTION 29-15-60. Animal boarding facilities; liens upon animals for boarding expenses.

The owner of an animal boarding facility, at the end of an agreed upon term of boarding, shall have a lien upon any animal which is left with him for upkeep, rest, and training until the cost of the upkeep, rest, and training has been paid by the owner of the animal. The owner of the animal shall also be responsible for payment of the cost of upkeep, rest, and training of the animal after notice of the lien. If the owner of the animal has not paid the cost of upkeep, rest, and training of the animal after actual notice of the lien within ten days of such notice, the animal boarding facility owner may sell the animal after having advertised the time and place of the sale in a newspaper having general circulation in the county wherein the animal boarding facility is located at least seven days before the sale is to be held. After the sale of the animal, the owner of the animal boarding facility may deduct the cost of the upkeep, rest, and training of the animal before and after date of the notice of the lien, plus all expenses incurred from the advertising and sale provided in this section, and shall submit the balance of the proceeds of the sale to the previous owner of the animal. If the animal is not purchased at the advertised sale, the owner of the animal boarding facility shall become the owner of the animal with all the rights, privileges, and obligations of ownership. A transfer of ownership pursuant to this section entitles the new owner of the animal to obtain the breed registration certificate for the animal from the organization or association which issued the certificate.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 45-554.1; 1961 (52) 135; 1997 Act No. 119, Section 1.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.