Hampton, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: If someone stole my phone and agreed to replace it, isn’t that what they should do instead of just give money?

Recently someone stole my phone with the case screen protector and pop socket, I found this person and agreed not to press charges as long as they replace everything, however this person has gone against this deal and is saying they want to give me money instead, but I don’t want to take money in fear of it being fake.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shemeka C Hankins
Shemeka C Hankins
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you have decided to not go to the police, then unfortunately unless you have a contract with this person, they can do whatever they want. I wouldn't advise this but perhaps you should meet in a public place (with other people along for the ride!) just as a WAWA where there is plenty of lighting and ask them to go in to the ATM and remove the money. That's probably the best you're going to get to be sure it isn't fake money. However, you are stuck in between a rock and a hard place because you aren't in a position to make the proper demands just holding over their heads you aren't going to the police - the person is a thief; to think they wouldn't try to scam you again or do whatever they can to get out of it, is unlikely. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.