Benton Harbor, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: Can I take over my deceased ex wife's house to raise our minor children in?

My ex wife recently passed away completely unexpectedly with no will. She was not married, we live in Michigan and we have 3 minor children that we shared custody of (her only heirs and family in the United States). She has a home in our preferred school district that is currently just sitting empty. Can I or the kids take over the mortgage/home? I am guessing I will need to go through probate and become the administrator for my children, just want to know about the home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You quite likely could do that, and yes, it would require a probate proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.