Madison, AL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alabama

Q: In Alabama, may I lawfully withhold rent for landlords failure to provide quiet enjoyment.

I have brought it to their attention, the attention of the police, I have endured a large incessantly barking dog who has barked for hours at times and romps and runs above my ceiling. This is the security officer for the complex and I have endured it for eight months. I am a reasonable person. This is more than just ordinary apartment neighbor noise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: No you may not. What you can do is file a suit against your neighbor for a nuisance. But if the landlord allows pets then there is probably nothing you can do about it, except get a money damage and to do that you have to prove damages, like lost wages, emotional distress and having to be prescribed something to sleep because of the barking. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.