Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: My girlfriend is 17, mom having custody, but she lives with grandparents. Can she up and move out ? What are laws on th

My girlfriend is 17. Her mother has legal custody of her but she lives with her grandparents. Is there any way she could move in with me? I had ran away whenever I was 17 a few years ago and the cops said they could only bring me back home one time, after that it was on my own because I was a legal adult at 17. Her grandparents are considered legal guardians but if she has a place to live if she leaves, and continues to go to school, can we get around the laws or any type of serious trouble behind this situation? Her grandma and her argue 24/7 and she always says she’s moving out, and gramma says to leave, but she never does.... if she was to record these conversations would it help the cause of her moving out or what ? I need serious laws on this, and not any type of personal advice or outlook. Please help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: No, a 17 year old is minor and cannot leave home without consent until age 18.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.