Gilbert, AZ asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Arizona

Q: Easiest, least expense way to deal with a $1,800 final disbursement payment made to my deceased fathers estate.

In Maricopa County, AZ. Father was a widower with two equal heirs, myself and brother, he has (had) a will and trust document drawn up. I also obtained an estate EIN. His only account transferred as a POD account. No other assets, except this $1,800 check.

Could the check payable to the estate of be deposited into a trust account?

I see However, I'm confused about the process. Is probate absolutely required for this? If it is, are all these filed at the same time? I need help with the process or to understand the process

Thanks in advance for advice.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona


Sorry for your loss. I hope the information above helps you resolve the issue.

1 user found this answer helpful

Ilene L McCauley
Ilene L McCauley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I am so sorry for your loss.

Now let me answer your question. If the $1800 dollar account is all there is, then you and your brother probably need to prepare a small estate affidavit. This affidavit will need to be signed and notarized by both of you. Sometimes the financial services company provides one for you. Sometimes you can find it online. Sometimes you need an attorney to prepare it. I recommend you ask the financial services people first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.