San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Military Law for Texas

Q: Can I still retire from the military if I have a 25 year old domestic violence charge and I'm at 18.5 years active duty?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is not a criminal law question, so I cannot answer it. The question, I believe, is more properly a military law question having to do with the requirements for full benefits upon retirement of a person with such a problem in his/her past. It may also matter whether you were convicted (that is, found "guilty") or not. If you received probation, it's possible you were given deferred adjudication without ever being found guilty. It is also possible that even though you were "charged" with a family violence offence, the court may not have made a positive finding of family violence.

You should find out the answers to these questions and then re-submit your question as a military law question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.