Champaign, IL asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: I am being charged with Theft by deception. however, I did not deceive anyone or steal any property. I am being denied

A public because the court is under the impression that I make too much money. I am currently unemployed and have been for about a month. What advice do you guys have for me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: I have a million pieces of advice because I take 10+ calls like yours every day. Firstly, most people would prefer a private attorney over a public defender and I hope you don't learn that reality the hard way. Secondly, if this case is in North Dakota and you were denied a public defender by the clerk you can ask that the decision is reconsidered by the judge. Finally, if you are truly innocent you would be a fool to not have an attorney. A home run case is always a great case for a lawyer to take. You'd be surprised how many people lose their home run case on their own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.