Phoenix, AZ asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona

Q: How do I find out whether or not a person is a US citizen, how that was obtained, & what document would need to be filed

This seems so crazy to me but I'm actually asking these questions on behalf of my 60 year old significant other who was born in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1960. His mother married an officer in the US military who was stationed somewhere over on that side of the world back then. They married. Shortly thereafter his, now stepfather, relocated his new family to Germany where he was reassigned. They remained in Germany for several years and when it came time to, once again (as military families are well accustomed to), relocate back to the United States, they did...My boyfriend (his name is Kim) was around the age 9 when he arrived in the US; escorted by his mother and her, now husband, who ended up eventually retiring after 25+ years active duty service. (His mother obtained citizenship, at some point, through him. They went on to have another child, Kim's half-brother, who was born here, in the US). Here's where things get odd. Kim, is totally oblivious as to his status in this country!

1 Lawyer Answer
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Hey, you may be able to access his immigration records through the freedom of information act. You may need to know the case number for his moms application. Perhaps Kim is also a beneficiary of his stepfathers US citizenship. It is best to consulte an experienced immigration attorney before moving forward. I offer virtual consultations and can help you solve this problem.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.