Honolulu, HI asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Hawaii

Q: Who has legal rights to my late dads estate. Me as I'm his only legal daughter or my illegitimate sister?

My name is Carol im from the Philippines I am a US citizen as my dad had petitioned me to come to Hawaii before he had died. During his last days he said that he was in the US army and he had bought and paid for a home for my mom and me on the island of Hawaii. He told me to come and claim the home upon death. My mom and dad died almost at the same time and I had taken a trip to Hawaii to claim the home as my dad instructed. But I found out that his illegitimate daughter had been living in the home. The home is still under my father's name and now my 1/2 sister will not speak to me. I do not have a copy of his will as I did not have the authority to ask for a copy at that time I was a minor.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Check for a Probate Action in both the County where he died and where the property lies. If no Probated Will then the Heirs At Law own the property, which should include you. You probably need an attorney to establish your title, and a Partition Sale may be necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.