Sarasota, FL asked in Civil Litigation and Elder Law for Florida

Q: Does domestic violence have to be physical or can it also be psychological. That is what our son has done to us

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I assume you are talking about an adult son, not a minor, and I assume you are wondering if you can obtain a restraining order to keep him away from you. If this is not the case, it's best to re-word your inquiry and re-post. There are limited types of NON-physical contact that warrant the entry of a restraining order for domestic violence, such as threats to cause physical harm and stalking. The Clerk's Office of your local court could probably tell you if what you are experiencing qualifies for a petition or not; otherwise, schedule a consultation with an attorney. If what you are experiencing doesn't qualify for a petition (and your son is an adult), then you all need to search for other avenues to provide relief, such as pyschological/social work counseling or just ending the relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.