Park Forest, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: My wife has file for divorce. A court date has been assigned. I just found out about this. What can I do?

I was not subpoena.

Do I have to be subpoena?

I did not sign anything. I need time to get some money together for a lawyer.

Do I wait for her to subpoena me? Need help with this.

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you are not in a position to retain an attorney at this time, go to the courthouse and examine your file. Check and see if the Sheriff or special Process Server claims to have served you with Summons. If you have been served, file an Appearance and send it to your spouse's lawyer. I find it hard to understand how a court date has been set if you have never been served (unless it is a mere Status date).

Incidentally, you spouse is not required to subpoena you. He or she must serve you with a Summons. If they don't know where you reside, they can publish in the Chicago Law Bulletin.

Consult with a lawyer that advertises "no fee for initial consultations."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.