Wendell, NC asked in Banking, Business Formation, Business Law and Civil Litigation for North Carolina

Q: Business partner locked me out of all company-related accounts. Both are 50% owners. What can I do? Details below.

My business partner got power-hungry and locked me out of my company email and quickbooks account as well as the bank account. She has contacted customers and told them to cease further communication with me. What can I do legally? I am 50% shareholder and a company officer.

State: NC

Business type: S-corp

Partner owns 50% and I own 50%

I decided that I would offer to sell her my shares of the company in an effort to keep things civil, she declined. Then I requested the bank statements in an effort to sell my shares to someone else (potentially a competing company) but she would not give me access to any documentation so no sales could be finalized.

Fun stuff, right? Does anybody know what I could do in this situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but you await a response for two weeks. Your post could be a little bit difficult to respond to. Unlike many of the basic general legal questions that are posted here, your matter appears complex in nature. To give you any kind of meaningful guidance, an attorney would probably want to speak with you and review your matter in greater detail. They would probably want to see agreements and communications. They might need to see tax records and banking records. One option is to consider reaching out to attorneys in your area to ask about the cost of a brief initial consult. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.