Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Carolina Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can I sue a finance company for not reporting my loan paid in full for over 2 years ago which is effecting my credit

My credit score debt to ratio and mortgage loans

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on Mar 4, 2022

The first thing you need to do is send a dispute letter to each credit bureau enclosing your proof that the loan is paid in full. Access your credit reports at those credit reports will have the address to send your dispute to. Send the letter certified mail so you can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: I want to sell my house to my son for the cost of the current mortgage. He will live here and remodel.

What is the least expensive loan option for him? Can he get a loan to pay off the current mortgage that includes a construction loan?

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran answered on Jan 25, 2022

Talk to the bank; this is not a legal matter. It is strictly a financial decision by the bank.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation, Business Law and Civil Litigation for North Carolina on
Q: Business partner locked me out of all company-related accounts. Both are 50% owners. What can I do? Details below.

My business partner got power-hungry and locked me out of my company email and quickbooks account as well as the bank account. She has contacted customers and told them to cease further communication with me. What can I do legally? I am 50% shareholder and a company officer.

State: NC... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 27, 2020

A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but you await a response for two weeks. Your post could be a little bit difficult to respond to. Unlike many of the basic general legal questions that are posted here, your matter appears complex in nature. To give you any kind of meaningful guidance, an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for North Carolina on
Q: In NC, does it require both signatures to add a 3rd person to a joint account?

I was added to the account in 2017. In 2019, a 3rd party was added but I did not sign to add them.

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran answered on Oct 15, 2020

Depends on the bank's policies, if you are uncomfortable with this, you can withdraw all the money from the account and move it elsewhere. I would talk to the bank about this and see what they say happened.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Banking for North Carolina on
Q: My 2nd bank account was closed to fraud (Not on my end) I was scammed and someone tried to deposit bad checks

I wasn’t held liable because I received no money nor was in in the state where these checks were deposited. I currently have another bank and have been there for 8+ years

The bank account that was closed I opened during college because I thought the deal seemed fishy and didn’t want... Read more »

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera answered on Jul 6, 2020

If the bank did not find that you were involved in the fraud it should not affect a credit card application.

My response provides only general information and is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice, nor create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use or rely on...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for North Carolina on
Q: What can I do if Bank refuses to refund money after submitting claim

I made a purchase Over the Internet, MY Item never arrived, My Financial Institution refuses to refund my money after I submitted a claim.

Telling Me I have to work it out with Vendor.

Stated in Claim I tried Multiple times to resolve with Vendor to NO AVAIL.

VENDOR... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 23, 2020

Why on earth do you think that your bank--that had nothing to do with your decision to get scammed--should have to indemnify you for your loss? Can you imagine what would happen if EVERYONE who gets scammed by some thief over the Internet could just asak their bank for the money? Where would the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Bankruptcy for North Carolina on
Q: My wife recently filed for bankruptcy soley without my knowledge to rid her responsibility to our debts. what do i do

She has not been living here at home for some time and has been living with her Mother who has convinced her to file for bankruptcy to get rid of her obligations to our debts. She is hiding money from the case to help strengthen it in her mothers accounts as well as possible accounts. She has... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 4, 2019

If you can prove she is hiding money, you may want to advise the trustee in her bankruptcy case.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Tax Law, Banking and Civil Rights for North Carolina on
Q: Need ethical law firm that can process the evidence of dishonor against a bank for internal document fraud, Fudiary duty

I am involved as the victim of an identity theft operation called ghosting. My bank altered the tax ID # and my date of birth on the internal documents that are associated with my business accounts, overriding my social security number and date of birth with the identifiers belonging to somebody... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 15, 2019

This free legal advice forum is intended to help consumers better understand common legal terms and to explain general legal principals and procedures to non-lawyers interested in understanding more about the law. Accordingly,

this forum is not the place to seek free legal representation...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for North Carolina on
Q: If I believe my bank is incompetent in handling a $60 charge back for a hotel room is there anything I can do about it?

I went to a hotel, to get a room that costs $60 per night. The hotel has a policy that there is only 15 minutes within paying to either change rooms, or ask for a refund, and makes people sign a paper stating this, and does not let people look at the rooms first before deciding to pay. In my case,... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 21, 2019

Wow. It's too bad you did not anticipate any problem when this (very cheap) hotel made you sign an agreement not to complain about their cheap rooms unless you do it immediately. In any event, there is nothing you can do to force your bank to give you the $60 that the hotel kept. Why not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can I be sued civilly for a debt to wachovia bank from 2009?

I recieved a call from a person claiming to be a part of 'Larkin mediation'. He said that I owed wachovia bank 100$ back in 2009 and that If I do not settle for 400$, I will be served and brought to court for over 2000$. When I searched their phone # I get no results for a business. They... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 21, 2019

This is a scam. Ignore these scammers.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for North Carolina on
Q: Question about band fraud committed against my mother while she was in hospital and passed away.

I am the executor of my mother's estate. During the asset collection process I discovered my sister had stolen and used my mother's debit card while my mother was in ICU and medically induced coma. She never regained conscience and passed away. The bank is refusing to credit back and... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 13, 2019

Unless you have opened a probate estate and have been accepted as the executer your being named the executor of your mother's estate in her last will is not enough to get the bank's attention. Furthermore, you cannot sue your sister personally because she did not steal anything from YOU;... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for North Carolina on
Q: If a lending company of student loans commits “usuary”, what law does this fall under?

Which state does the “usuary” law (s) apply? The resident’s state or the lending company ‘s state?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 6, 2019

Penalties for usury are applicable in the resident's state. However, if the loan is usurious in the lenders state it may apply to you as well. Hire a lawyer to research it.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: I have been trying to do a short sale for over a year, after finally completed all of the process the mortgage company

Sold my loan, the new company is still affiliated with the old one, they stated that I have to start the process over, which will cause me to lose my buyer.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 6, 2019

This new trick is becoming all too common in the mortgage lending industry. Your best bet is to hire a good real estate lawyer and have them write a very strong letter to the original lender and the new lender warning both of them that you may take legal action against both lenders if necessary to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for North Carolina on
Q: Help with bank levy

I have an old debt with a landlord in Ohio from 2014. A judgement was issued in Ohio in2015. I completely forgot about, as I had zero communication with the debtor in the past 3 years. Now they got a bank levy and I have til May 1, 2019 to respond to a notice for a hearing or to claim why I... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 23, 2019

This would be an easy problem to solve if it did not involve two separate states. If the bank levy was filed in the state of North Carolina you should hire a NC lawyer to help you. If the action was filed in Ohio, you need an Ohio lawyer. Do not try to defend against this levy without a lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for North Carolina on
Q: I need to sue Woodforest National Bank in Hendersonville North Carolina please contact me at
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 16, 2019

You will get a vetter response by looking for a lawyer using the Justia search engine on this site.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for North Carolina on
Q: Can an authorized user on a checking account go in and cash to the owners checks and make changes

The authorized user on my grandmother's account has been cashing her checks and not giving them to her and also making serious changes to the account without the account owner's presence is this legal

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 5, 2019

There is a very common belief that there is a difference between an "authorized user" of a personal bank account and a "co-owner" of a personal bank account. While there are several different kinds of bank accounts, access to each type of bank account is either defined in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Contracts and Collections for North Carolina on
Q: Can a business avoid paying a debt by giving assets to someone else? (Debt was a mortgage for an investment property).

My girlfriend owns her own business which is incorporated. She's the only employee and works out of our home. We live together. A few years ago, her tech business invested in a coastal property.

1- At the same time, my gf & her ex-husband jointly owned a different property.... Read more »

Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz answered on Apr 23, 2018

It depends on the transaction and how it is structured. Generally you can't avoid debts by transferring property and assets to insiders, particularly for no payment. The creditor can file an action to avoid the transfer based on several factors. Thus, if you are tranferring assets, it has to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Banking and Military Law for North Carolina on
Q: Drive Time and SCRA

My wife purchased a vehicle from Drive Time before I entered the military (active duty) and her intrest rate is extremly high. 25% or so. Back then she had a job where she could afford it, but now om the only one with an imcome. I reclently found out about SCRA (service member civil relief act)... Read more »

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II answered on Feb 4, 2018

You need to put it in writing. Here is some suggested language:

Dear Sir or Ma’am:

Pursuant to the Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (“SCRA”) 50 U.S.C. App. Section 527,

this letter is my formal written request to reduce the rate of interest to six percent (6.0%) for...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Banking for North Carolina on
Q: Where can I find info on the Patriot Act and regulations re: deposits
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter answered on May 3, 2013

You can start here:

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.