Dundee, IL asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: I am looking for assistance in getting a non contested divorce. This is a very simple divorce with no assets to divide.

We have two kids that we plan on splitting 50/50. Please advise how we can do this on a very low budget.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Martin A. Delaney III
Martin A. Delaney III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rolling Meadows, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I suggest that you both discuss every aspect of a settlement and come to a complete agreement. Then, call an attorney to put the agreement in proper form. There will probably be certain things you both did not consider. I would go over them with you if you came to my firm. The way my firm works is we will only represent one party. We will prepare the settlement papers exactly as the client wants. Once they are in final form, both parties will review and sign. Then we will file a petition for dissolution of marriage - in McHenry County/22 Judicial District - and get a prove up date [that is, the date you are to be divorced]. This will be done through zoom. We charge a flat fee and court costs/filing fee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.