Peoria, AZ asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Collections for Arizona

Q: I had a lawyer in a civil case and there was a settlement to be paid. He was paid. Should he follow up to retrieve money

So they had two years to pay the settlement and after that it would accrue interest. My lawyer was already paid and I was told when two years came if we needed we would go back to court. It’s been 13 yrs I contact the office a few times over the yrs and at one point told I wouldn’t have to pay anything because that was already done at the time of the settlement. My question is should he be the one to bring her to court or do something to get the money? When I called recently I was told by his office he wouldn’t do that I need to get a collection lawyer. If I do that that means I need to pay out of my settlement money again. Is he legally required to follow up on this matter? I know not your normal question but the person who was sued deserves to have to pay for major injuries from her wrong doing. I still suffer because of her 16 yrs later. Thank you for any info you can provide and if it matters this is in Massachusetts. Thank you Kim M

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Depending on the facts of the underlying case, this could be something that an Arizona or Massachusetts attorney could advise best on. But your post remains open for two weeks. It isn't fully clear what happened here that has you waiting for the funds of your award. If your lawyer recommended a collection lawyer, one possibility could be that your matter involves a judgment. But that's only a guess - an experienced collection lawyer could likely make a more meaningful and accurate assessment if they reviewed your file or spoke with you. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.