Houston, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Separated wife needed break so she took trip to Tennessee but took my son to her mother's but didn'tgivemeoptiontokeep

She currently lives in the house and she wanted me to live with my dad but I said no so I stay in our travel trailer I pay all the bills she has no job just want to know the best options.

1 Lawyer Answer
Yanine Dominique Krohn
Yanine Dominique Krohn
  • Cypress, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I would strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an attorney in your area. Whenever anyone wants to have orders specifying their rights and duties to their children, those orders have to be issued by a court with jurisdiction (i.e. authority to make orders that affect your life). A court has jurisdiction if the child has resided in that state for a period of no less than 6 months before the filing of the law suit. There is the possibility that if your wife goes and stays in Tennessee for at least 6 months Tennessee will become your child's home state, and any orders detailing your rights and duties to your child would have to be made by a Tennessee court. These types of issues can make cases costly and difficult. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a lawyer in your area in order to fully discuss your options and rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.