Gatlinburg, TN asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: Can a officer give a 16yr a citation and then come back and tare that one up and give you a new one.

My son who s 16 was given a citation from a police officer for illegal weapon on the back of the citation it says you have been charged with a municipal offence and do you do not have to appear in court and the officer marked 1 charge 100.00. When I went to pay it they said the officer is new he didn't do it right so we are throwing this citation away and giving you a new one for juvenile court and a parent must be present when served which no one was when he had him sign the first one. What can I do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: General Sessions is not a Court of Record, and the Citations or Warrants can be amended or dismissed at anytime with new Charges being instituted. You might want to hire an attorney so this will be as painless as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.