Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Tennessee Cannabis & Marijuana Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: I have an inmate in Tennessee that needs to clear a case in Pennsylvania. Please advise me what I should tell her
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin answered on Aug 3, 2021

Hire a PA attorney to deal with the PA case.

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: I have been charged with simple possession of weed, and poss unlaw drug paraphernalia uses & activities. What can I do?

It’s a possession got 4.3 grams of weed. I’m also on a F-1 student visa.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jun 9, 2021

Hire a competent attorney to represent you. Convictions will probably mean deportation.

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: I'm being charged with 1/2 a gram of marijuana introductory in to the jail. It wasn't tested and could have been cbd..

What can I be charged with

Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak answered on Mar 24, 2021

Thank you for your question. You can be charged with violating T.C.A. 39-16-201, which is the introduction or possession of weapons, explosives, intoxicants or drugs into a penal institution where prisoners are quartered. Violation of this statute is a Class C Felony, so it is extremely important... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: I got a citation for simple possession and drug paraphernalia (marijuana) in tri cities of east tn.

I live in dayton ohio where it is decriminalized when I went to court they had no record on file. The judge issued me an arraingment date.. Could i get this dismissed since they didnt have the ticket on file on the date of court

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Mar 11, 2021

The Citation can be produced, reissued or even converted to an Arrest Warrant very quickly. Ohio laws have no bearing in TN, which apparently you would have been in violation of also. Hire an attorney now. You need to get this Diverted, Dismissed and Expunged, or it will mess up your life.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: I was found guilty of Simple possession of schedule VI What does V.O P 1st offence carry Hawkins Co. Tennessee

I wish to know what to do when the probation officer lies on a warrant

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Dec 10, 2020

You will probably have to serve some portion of your Sentence. The Violation can be tried if you really think you can put on positive proof that the PO made a false statement on the VOP. That is a heavy burden though, with a painful ending when the Court locks you up. Like it or not Pot is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee on
Q: Can a officer give a 16yr a citation and then come back and tare that one up and give you a new one.

My son who s 16 was given a citation from a police officer for illegal weapon on the back of the citation it says you have been charged with a municipal offence and do you do not have to appear in court and the officer marked 1 charge 100.00. When I went to pay it they said the officer is new he... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Oct 14, 2020

General Sessions is not a Court of Record, and the Citations or Warrants can be amended or dismissed at anytime with new Charges being instituted. You might want to hire an attorney so this will be as painless as possible.

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: Ive been arrested on a felony drug charge. It was for 61 grams of marijuana. Could they come back with a search warrant

They had searched parts of my home when the initial accident occurred. My boyfriend had overdosed and they found the marijuana in his things. He later passed away and now theyre trying to pin it on me because we shared the same home and the person the pot belonged to is now deceased. My bail... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 10, 2020

Unless you own the property, find another place to live now. You probably need a new phone and/or computer. Stay away from the people you have done illegal acts with. Work hard and stay out of trouble. Confidential Informants are doing everything they can to give the LEO's probable cause to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: i was caught in the state of Georgia with marijuana i am being fined more the state maximum what to do?

was passing through Georgia when i was caught with 4 grams of weed. was left off with a citation only to find out my ticked is 1,345. after ding research the state maximum on possession of marijuana under an ounce is up to OR 1000 dollar fine. can i get this dropped? lowered? payments? MI 19 living... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 5, 2020

This is a forum for Tennessee Criminal issues. You should contact a Georgia attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Criminal Law for Tennessee on
Q: What Is the statue of limitations for 4lbs of marijuana and a stolen gun if found during a search warrant

They’re was a home invasion and one of the two tenants were shot. The other tenant of the home shot the intruder but got away. A detective got a search warrant and found a back back out side the home with approximately 4lbs of marijuana in the bag with scales and a couple thousand dollars. In the... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 14, 2020

There are many different possible charges there, but a good estimate would be 6 to 8 year SOL 's. I recommend the tenants get new phones/computers, keep their mouths shut, and not ask anything about returning the firearms.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: Is it more likely that I am facing jail time or probation?

I am 19 facing a DUI charge. I made the terrible decision to drive after I was drinking with some friends. I did not really know my limit; therefore, I was too intoxicated. Prior to that I smoked marijuana so I know that both substances will appear in my blood sample. The violation listed on my... Read more »

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq. answered on Jun 30, 2020

I would hire a competent local criminal defense attorney. At a very minimum, you will spend 48 hours in jail, perhaps more with the marijuana charge. You will have to attend a DUI class and pay fines and court costs.

If you want a license, you will have to pay for an ignition interlock...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: What does my boyfriend do now that he has a court date for Marijuana possession less than a gram?

We live in FL. We were traveling to TN and got pulled over. Now my boyfriend has to go to court which the officer said he can just have a lawyer present for him so he doesnt have to travel all the way up there. What would the cost of a lawyer be and this would be his first offense in TN. What would... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 26, 2020

He needs to hire a competent attorney to get it Diverted, Dismissed, then Expunged. A permanent drug conviction will ruin his life.

2 Answers | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Criminal Law for Tennessee on
Q: My 20 yo son got a citation (first) for simple possession of marijuana. Do we need an atty to get the charges dropped?

He was sitting in a car in the street in front of his friend's parents' house. The officer said he smelled marijuana and took a small amount of marijuana from my son. His friend's parents confirmed that he was staying with them. His citation is for simple possession (39-17-318). Now... Read more »

Shanone Emmack
Shanone Emmack answered on May 19, 2020

If Marijuana was found on your son then he could be charged with Simple Possession of a schedule VI drug. These type of cases are not usually dropped. It sounds like his first court date is an appearance date which is a formality to give defendant's their trial dates and possibly apply for an... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Child Custody for Tennessee on
Q: If a mom used marijuana and is now going through a custody battle, how likely is she to lose custody? Never married.

I’ve used thc and cps has closed my case after successfully passing random drug screens. I failed the first one but cps still closed the case. How likely is it for I, the mother to lose custody of my 2 year old child? Also, I have proof (pictures and messages of him advertising) of the father... Read more »

Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry answered on Feb 25, 2020

From your question it seems as if there is no current court case. If that is the case, then you are probably fine. If here is a court action currently lodged with the court, then you need to revise your question and add additional detail to allow attorneys to better respond. Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.