Chicago, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: Just had my 4th anniversary and getting divorced...

it’s my understanding that she is entitled to half of my pension during the time of marriage. That is a lot of money and will damage my outlook on retirement, as my pension has made big money in four years...

Question is....does a judge have to rule as statutes state, or can he rule against it if he sees it unfair??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The judge must uphold the law. You use the term "pension". Pensions don't generally jump in value in four years, but 401K's can. Could you be referring to a 401K, SEP IRA, or IRA? If so, you might hire a mathematician or actuary to determine how much of the four year growth was caused by the funds you had on deposit on the date of your marriage. Without knowing more of your facts, it is difficult to fill you in on the possibilities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.