Stilwell, OK asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: My sons father likes to tell people hes there for my 10 month old son and hes not.

Im trying to see what the odds are of getting soul custody of my son. Hes 10 months old and his father is bad into drugs and lives in his car because his ex kicked him out. He does have a job at a gas station but has only helped me twice since my son has been born with diapers. He never sees my son unless i contact him. And of course im always there because i wont let him take him. But he wont just let me have soul custody because he likes being able to brag that hes a "good father" when hes not. When I do take my son to see him he only sees him for maybe 15 minutes at the most. I just want soul custody of my son. I need help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Not sure what your legal situation is at the moment, so it makes it hard to answer your question. There are two types of custody: Legal and Physical Custody. Legal Custody is about making decisions for the child. Examples would be where to go to school, church, medical treatment, etc. Physical Custody relates to who has more time and how it effects child support. Sole Custody does not mean you can completely prevent the father from seeing the child, but there are ways to limit a parent's access if they are dangerous or not capable of handling a child. You should contact an attorney and make sure there are the proper court orders in place to protect you and your child.

Charles Watts agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.