Bayville, NJ asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: How do I go about filing for expunge my record for a felony in the Southern District Court of New York in 1993

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elena Fast
Elena Fast
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: There is no blanket federal expungement statute. However, there is limited expungement relief available under 18 U.S. Code § 3607 - for some drug convictions under 21 USC 844 - simple possession. If you qualify, you would have to file a petition to SDNY seeking relief. You should call your previous attorney, retain new counsel or contact Federal Defenders for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.