Columbus, OH asked in Car Accidents for Ohio

Q: I am being sued by an insurance company for 8k for an accident in 2018 where I was rear ended. I need advice please

I was rear ended at a stop light. At the time of the accident, we exchanged information. She told her insurance company I negligently operated my car and it was my fault. The cops were called but they wouldn’t come. My only witnesses are my young kids. The following morning I was told by my insurance company that I didn’t have coverage (my ex paid was stealing the bill $ for other things). The insurance company is trying to sue me for the damages to her car, totaling 8k. I cannot afford a lawyer. I live in Ohio.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. It sounds like the other driver's insurance paid their insured's claim and are now coming after you for it. I'm sorry for your difficult situation, but if you could somehow at least arrange a short and limited (or if you could find a pro bono or legal aid assistance - it would be difficult for this type of matter) consult, it could be worth the investment, with $8,000 on the line. Maybe an experienced attorney could examine what evidence remains and they MIGHT be able to salvage some element of liability in your favor, as you say you were hit in the rear at a stop light. You could try contacting the Ohio Bar Association to explore whether their resources could be of assistance. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.