Des Moines, IA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Iowa

Q: Can I be forced to take my parenting time during Covid?

My wife and I have quarantined since March at the advice of my wife's doctor. My child's mother agreed to keep the child 100% of the time until my wife's doctor feels there are adequate treatment options should my wife contract Covid. The child's mother now wishes to return to the 50/50 custody schedule ordered in the decree, and is filing contempt papers against me for failing to provide care. Can I be court-ordered to resume exchanges that will risk my wife's health?

Also, the decree states that neither parent owes the other child support. My wife and I make significantly less than the child's mother and we are both furloughed because of the pandemic. We have provided school clothes, toys, musical instruments, a tablet for school, and made several payments for child care. We've applied for child care assistance to cover half, but haven't received benefits yet. Can we be ordered to pay for half of the (full price) amount the mother was billed for the child care already received?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: The Court may find you in contempt of the decree/custody schedule even with the doctor-prescribed quarantine. I would advise seeking counsel to represent your interests to the Court and describe the nuances of your current COVID-riddled situation. It is possible that a modification of the decree may also be sought by your child's mother if she is going to continue to have 100% custody -- this modification effort could include asking you to pay child support since your visitation/care has dwindled.

As for the child care expenses, this may prove to be a complicated issue since neither of you owe the other support in the decree. The deciding factor could hinge on who was to pay for child care in the decree, but based on your question I am guessing there is supposed to be a flat 50/50 split on the child care expenses? If so, then it is possible you may be ordered to pay half. I would also recommend seeking counsel to represent your interests on this issue.

Please feel free to reach out if you are interested in discussing in more detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.