Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Child Support legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Iowa Child Support Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Child Support and Civil Rights for Iowa on
Q: If I go to jail for a warrant an they find paraphernalia and weeks later say they're going to charge me for with it
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 6, 2024

If you were arrested on a warrant and the authorities found drug paraphernalia in your possession during the arrest, they have the right to charge you with possession of drug paraphernalia in addition to any charges related to the original warrant. The timeline for filing these additional charges... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: Can you lose custody of your children if you live with your cousin
Janell K Broekemier
Janell K Broekemier
answered on Nov 29, 2023

A Court will often look at the best interests of the child when determining whether a parent should be awarded custody or retain custody in a modification. If you are awarded custody in a prior court order, the burden for changing custody is often much higher. Each case is unique. Whether a... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: My ex wife has sole custody of our son in wi, I live in Iowa I have had him this school year beside him going to his

Moms a couple of time. On top of this I am paying for child support what should I do

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
answered on Dec 8, 2020

If the child is going to remain with you, then the appropriate steps would be to;

1. File a Motion to terminate with Court who currently has jurisdiction over the case.

2. Transfer the existing case to your state of residence by Registering the order in the state court in your...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Iowa on
Q: Can I be forced to take my parenting time during Covid?

My wife and I have quarantined since March at the advice of my wife's doctor. My child's mother agreed to keep the child 100% of the time until my wife's doctor feels there are adequate treatment options should my wife contract Covid. The child's mother now wishes to return to... View More

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse
answered on Oct 28, 2020

The Court may find you in contempt of the decree/custody schedule even with the doctor-prescribed quarantine. I would advise seeking counsel to represent your interests to the Court and describe the nuances of your current COVID-riddled situation. It is possible that a modification of the decree... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Child Support for Iowa on
Q: I pay child support right now, if I get a car accident settlement do I need to tell my ex wife about it?

I am paying child support for my two children now, I got in a car accident and should be getting a settlement from it. Do I need to tell my ex wife I am getting a settlement, or can she find out the amount I got from the settlement?

Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
answered on Nov 19, 2017

Are you behind in support? Either way you have no legal obligation to 'tell her', but if she learns of it she may attach it for unpaid child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.