Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Child Custody legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Iowa Child Custody Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Iowa on
Q: I need assistance to get my God son to either my care or "?". Crupt CPS and DHS here in Hamilton county Iowa

i am a god parent and mentor for my best friends son he 14 years old .dhs an cps kidnapped him from home under faules accusations he has been bounced around from foster care to foster care . he has slight case of Autism hes very intelligent and know whats going on . He has told his lawyer and dhs... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 1, 2024

It sounds like you are deeply concerned about the well-being of your godson and want to provide him with a safe and loving environment. To address this situation, you may need to take several steps to advocate for his best interests. Start by documenting everything, including your godson's... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Iowa on
Q: I want my kids and my house I don’t deserve this he does

i I have been with my husband 15 years married ten. The last two he started being abusive and I filed for a protective order against him. He didn’t obey the orders so I left the house and tried to get on my feet starting at the bottom. I got a 1 bd apt and he won’t let me see the kids he says... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 4, 2024

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. In cases of domestic violence and child custody disputes, it's important to prioritize the safety and well-being of both you and your children. You have rights in this situation, including the right to seek legal help.

You may want...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: Can you lose custody of your children if you live with your cousin
Janell K Broekemier
Janell K Broekemier
answered on Nov 29, 2023

A Court will often look at the best interests of the child when determining whether a parent should be awarded custody or retain custody in a modification. If you are awarded custody in a prior court order, the burden for changing custody is often much higher. Each case is unique. Whether a... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: Who do I contact when dhs boys town and the gal won't do anything about my son being touched by the foster care family.
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 6, 2023

If you suspect that your son has experienced abuse or inappropriate conduct while in foster care, it's crucial to act swiftly and decisively. Begin by reporting the incident to the appropriate authorities, such as your local law enforcement agency or the Iowa Department of Human Services... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Iowa on
Q: Divorce decree states two weeks on two weeks off with the kids. The ex wants only our daughter full time and not son.

I suggested i take both full time and she said no. What do I do?

M. John Riley
M. John Riley
answered on Feb 28, 2022

A petition for modification needs to be filed to change the current custody arrangement.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: My ex wife has sole custody of our son in wi, I live in Iowa I have had him this school year beside him going to his

Moms a couple of time. On top of this I am paying for child support what should I do

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
answered on Dec 8, 2020

If the child is going to remain with you, then the appropriate steps would be to;

1. File a Motion to terminate with Court who currently has jurisdiction over the case.

2. Transfer the existing case to your state of residence by Registering the order in the state court in your...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: my soon to be ex wife has let a multiple time felon move in before divorce is over. can i get custody of my children

boyfriend is on probation currently for 2 felonies. has a very extensive history of drug and alcohol charges, arson, burglary, theft, owi's. most recent charges almost 1 year ago. im concerned for my children. can i get full custody of them, or what is my best process? can i file to not have... View More

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse
answered on Nov 5, 2020

Do you currently have an attorney for the ongoing divorce? Or has this divorce process not yet started? If you have not retained an attorney or started the divorce process, I advise seeking one ASAP and having them file for divorce. From there, after some administrative hoops are jumped through... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Iowa on
Q: Can I be forced to take my parenting time during Covid?

My wife and I have quarantined since March at the advice of my wife's doctor. My child's mother agreed to keep the child 100% of the time until my wife's doctor feels there are adequate treatment options should my wife contract Covid. The child's mother now wishes to return to... View More

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse
answered on Oct 28, 2020

The Court may find you in contempt of the decree/custody schedule even with the doctor-prescribed quarantine. I would advise seeking counsel to represent your interests to the Court and describe the nuances of your current COVID-riddled situation. It is possible that a modification of the decree... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Iowa on
Q: Iowa. Ex left state with children. No court custody arrangement. I'm on the birth Certificates. What to file?..No money
Jesse Michael Marzen
Jesse Michael Marzen
answered on Apr 28, 2017

There are resources available to help you. For starters, the Iowa Judicial Branch has forms available for folks to represent themselves. Link: Also, the Iowa State Bar Association has a... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.