Toledo, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: In a criminal trespass and vandalism case can I use a written statement from my neighbor?

Defendant pleaded not guilty after being arrested for drunk in public and open container, also trespassed and vandalized my wifes license plate but I did not see him do it, my neighbor did and i dont want to have to drag my neighbor to court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elena Fast
Elena Fast
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Very few misdemeanor cases result in the witness having to come in to meet with the prosecutor or testify in a court proceeding. I would say less than 2% of misdemeanor cases in New York State result in the witness having to appear in person. Usually, the prosecutor is able to interview witnesses via phone. Then, the prosecutor will send the witness a copy of criminal court complaint and a separate document called a "supporting deposition." The witness will have to sign a "supporting deposition" under the penalty of perjury to confirm that the criminal court complaint is correct.

So yes, a sworn statement from your neighbor is sufficient to move the case along, but the written statement will have to be drafted by the prosecutor. The neighbor will have to appear at trial, if the case gets that far. The changes of that, however, are very slim.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.