Hixson, TN asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I have custody in NC and my ex gets visitation every other weekend. Can I move to a new location in NC for work?

Their mother lives 2.5 hrs away. I know getting my ex to agree to allowing the move would be easier but can she stop me from moving??? I'm not going to deny her from the set visitation schedule, will just be in a different part of the state, same distance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katlyn Ashley Reh
Katlyn Ashley Reh
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If an existing custody order is in place, it is imperative that you continue to comply with that order. If the mother of the child opposes the move, then she could petition the court for a modification of the existing order. The mother would then have to prove that (1) there has been a substantial change in circumstances impacting the child's well-being and (2) a change in the custody arrangement would be in the child's best interest. If you believe that this move constitutes a substantial change in circumstances and is in the best interest of the child, you could petition for the Court to modify the existing custody agreement as well.

I recommend that you consult with an attorney regarding the different factors the Court weighs when determining whether a substantial change in circumstances exists and if so, the considerations the Court employs when making a best interest determination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.