Parsippany, NJ asked in Divorce and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: Is it possible to file for sole custody 4 years after being divorced?

My girlfriend got divorced in Iowa in 2016, now resident in MO with her 2 kids. Her ex (lives in Iowa) has a history of robbery, assaults and drug use. He is also way behind in child support payment now reaching 5 digits but gave pocket money back in December and January. He's been found in contempt for not paying child support. What are the chances of her being able to claim sole custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Based on the information provided, New Jersey does not have jurisdiction over the issue raised by you and therefore any NJ family law attorney answering this question would be speculating. You need to address the question to a family law attorney in Iowa.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.