Silver Spring, MD asked in Traffic Tickets for Massachusetts

Q: My Massachusetts 23 year old son received 3 out of state speeding tickets. What trouble awaits? Lawyer needed?

The question says it all. 23-Year-old goofball went on a cross country trip and got 3 speeding tickets, paid them all late. We are terrified that the punishment from Mass will be harsh. What awaits us? Do we need a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Your son will have his license suspended for 30 days once MA receives all the tickets. See

There is no hardship license or ability to drive at all during that suspension. This will impact SDIP points and the cost of his insurance as well. He needed to contest any one of the tickets. Some states allow it remotely or by a local lawyer.

I don't see that a lawyer will be able to help now, unless there is a defense to any of the tickets and you want to try to reopen and protest them. That might cost thousands if it was even possible in the states where he got the tickets. It usually isn't possible though, so be careful before throwing good money after bad.

I am sorry to say, it looks like he will have to learn the consequences of the speeding violations. He should also be VERY CAREFUL going forward. If he gets to habitual offender status the license loss is 4 years.

With that many infractions, perhaps have his eyes checked for vision impairments, have him tested for ADHD and for his own safety and your peace of mind, have him do an advanced driver re training program.

"As stated in Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90 Section 22F, the RMV will suspend or revoke your learner's permit, driver's license, or right to operate for 4 years if you have accumulated a total of 3 major moving violations or any combination of 12 major and/or minor moving violations (including out-of-state violations) within a 5-year period.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.