Reno, NV asked in Family Law and Child Support for Nevada

Q: I've been paying child support for about 12 years now faithfully. My name isn't on the birth certificate what can I do?

I receive unemployment and only get $331.00 a week and child support takes 50% of that so I make about $550.00 a month now. I've truly been struggling. How can I get some help? I've tried to keep in contact with my daughter for all these years with no success. The last time I seen her was over 10 years ago. How can I be released of this obligation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: In order to modify child support payments, you must file a motion with the court demonstrating a 20% change in income since the current child support order was ordered. Otherwise, you may motion the court for a child custody modification which may impact the amount of child support ordered if a modification is granted. It may be helpful to confirm the legal details of your paternity, child custody, and child support court orders with the Family Law help center for clarity on what you are legally obligated and entitled to as the child’s father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.