Crookston, MN asked in Employment Law for Minnesota

Q: I was hired by a company a couple months ago, can they fire me due to COVID?

I was hired by a company and I’ve been working for a couple months, I started experiencing Covid symptoms, I had to get tested because a person in my household works at a nursing home and if anyone she’s around experiences symptoms they must be tested before she can return to work, this company is making me take personal time to get tested, I haven’t been working their long so I don’t have enough time saved up to wait for the results. Can they fire me for this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: No, your employer cannot fire you. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) provides employees, who work for employers with less than 500 employees, up to two weeks (or 80 hours) of sick leave paid at employees' regular pay rate if those employees are unable to work because they are quarantined pursuant to doctors' advice or a government order. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act also provides employees experiencing COVID-19 symptoms who are seeking medical diagnosis with up to two weeks (or 80 hours) of sick leave.

Employees are entitled to paid sick time under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act if they are unable to work (or telework) because they

-are required by some governmental order to quarantine or isolate for COVID-19;

-have been told by a doctor or other healthcare provider to self-quarantine as a result of COVID-19;

-are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis;

-are caring for an individual (i) subject to such a governmental order described above, or (ii) self-quarantining as described above;

-are caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed as a result of COVID-19; or

are experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of Labor and Treasury.

Good luck and hopefully everything will work out. If you have any difficulty, though, you should reach out to an employment lawyer licensed in your state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.