Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and DUI / DWI for California

Q: Can I get access to information about how much money various state agencies have collected from a felony DUI offender?

I was a victim of a felony hit and run drunk driver. He rear ended me on the freeway while I was going 65 mph causing injury. The county commanded custody of restitution payments. I was awarded around $7k in a court order. The county has sent me two payments over a 12 year period totaling about $300. I suspect the state of California has been collecting child support etc. in violation of Marsy's law, which says victim's restitution should get paid before anything else. Is the state required to honor my request to see their records on how much they have collected from this guy?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Hudson Thomas Bair
Mr. Hudson Thomas Bair
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Why would the State of California collect "child support, etc.?" Generally that is paid to the person caring for the child. Maybe a person in your other category "Civil Litigation/Collections" can shed some light on this for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.