Gate City, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: I was caught shoplifting at a Walmart in TN,the total was under $100.They have me on camera, and have the torn packages

The police came and issued a misdemeanor ticket.

They did not take me to jail, I was told to go to my arraignment the following morning, which I did. My question is: 1) do I plead guilty or not guilty and 2) is there anyway to keep this off my record, if not is there a way to take it off my record once it's there.? I've been in trouble before, in 1997 I got a DUI.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shemeka C Hankins
Shemeka C Hankins
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You need to consult a lawyer who practices in the area of Tennessee where you were caught - that person will be the best person to advise you on what to plead and how to work on the situation with the local courts. I would advise speaking to an attorney if you want to keep the charge off your record, Virginia just adopted some new laws about probation for petty theft offenses that can have the charge dismissed after a period of time. Perhaps TN has something similar but you wont know, and perhaps a judge wont approve it, unless you have a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.