Muskogee, OK asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: My son was taken out of his mom’s care in IL. He was adjudicated as dependent. Court ruled his mom unable (not unfit)

I traveled to the last court date from Oklahoma and was told that I could take my son home with me. They closed the case, and at the bottom of the court order, it is written, “All custodial rights of the minor are vested to (my name).” Does this mean that I now have full or sole custody of my son? What should my next step be now that we are back in Oklahoma?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It sounds like you have sole custody of your son. You should see an attorney licensed to practice law in Oklahoma to figure out what your next step is in that state.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.